Can the rest of Europe stand up to Germany?
- 22 June 2012
Steve Levine explains why an oil price crash – brought about by none other than the Saudis – will be the bane of the world's petro-rulers. National Public Radio
Anatole Kaletsky says the euro's only chance of survival depends on whether the other nations in the currency bloc can form a united front against Germany at next week's summit. Reuters
In comparing states that have cut public spending with the states that have expanded spending, Derek Thompson concludes that while the figures don't tell us that deficit spending is necessarily good for long-term growth. "What this report does tell us, however, is that there isn't any evidence that austerity does any good in a situation like ours." The Atlantic
Rana Foroohar suggests that investor flight to safety is creating a new kind of bubble – this time in U.S. bond markets. Moreover, the Fed's extension of ‘Operation Twist' this week will only further inflate the bubble. The Curious Capitalist
Even though the Asia-Pacific region has been the fastest-growing destination for U.S. exports, America's slice of the region's export market has fallen by 43% over the last decade. One reason for this is the proliferation of trade deals among other countries in the region. Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- Tui Travel tipped as a "Buy" despite global unrest hitting bookings
- Bad news for half-term holidaymakers as pound falls to one-year low against the euro
- Green energy provider Ecotricity cuts gas bills 7%
- Pension drawdown risks in the spotlight after another painful day on the markets
- Savers urged to act fast to make the most of higher rate pension tax relief while it still lasts
- Three investment strategies to help investors navigate volatile markets
- Pension funds fall 2.5% after a turbulent January
- Commodities cast a long shadow over earnings season
- Broker view: Six funds for your Isa
- Dividend delights: 3 shares set to deliver sustainable income