Can the rest of Europe stand up to Germany?
- 22 June 2012
Steve Levine explains why an oil price crash – brought about by none other than the Saudis – will be the bane of the world's petro-rulers. National Public Radio
Anatole Kaletsky says the euro's only chance of survival depends on whether the other nations in the currency bloc can form a united front against Germany at next week's summit. Reuters
In comparing states that have cut public spending with the states that have expanded spending, Derek Thompson concludes that while the figures don't tell us that deficit spending is necessarily good for long-term growth. "What this report does tell us, however, is that there isn't any evidence that austerity does any good in a situation like ours." The Atlantic
Rana Foroohar suggests that investor flight to safety is creating a new kind of bubble – this time in U.S. bond markets. Moreover, the Fed's extension of ‘Operation Twist' this week will only further inflate the bubble. The Curious Capitalist
Even though the Asia-Pacific region has been the fastest-growing destination for U.S. exports, America's slice of the region's export market has fallen by 43% over the last decade. One reason for this is the proliferation of trade deals among other countries in the region. Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- 2015 sunshine for equities - but lower Chinese growth may drag on emerging markets
- Foreign buyers for UK regional properties outside London jump 20% in the first half of 2014
- Got a pension pot of £30,000 or less? Then don't go into drawdown, says Aviva
- Royal Mail at crossroads - new directions or lost up the garden path
- Generalist VCTs dominate as trade body publishes the top 20 performers of the last decade
- Savvy second time buyers biding their time to jump straight into a family home
- UK inflation: headline weakness, core resilience
- General Election 2015: What it might mean for investors...
- More than £41m of premium bond prizes remain unclaimed
- Private rents rise to a new high of £770 a month