Can the rest of Europe stand up to Germany?
- 22 June 2012
Steve Levine explains why an oil price crash – brought about by none other than the Saudis – will be the bane of the world's petro-rulers. National Public Radio
Anatole Kaletsky says the euro's only chance of survival depends on whether the other nations in the currency bloc can form a united front against Germany at next week's summit. Reuters
In comparing states that have cut public spending with the states that have expanded spending, Derek Thompson concludes that while the figures don't tell us that deficit spending is necessarily good for long-term growth. "What this report does tell us, however, is that there isn't any evidence that austerity does any good in a situation like ours." The Atlantic
Rana Foroohar suggests that investor flight to safety is creating a new kind of bubble – this time in U.S. bond markets. Moreover, the Fed's extension of ‘Operation Twist' this week will only further inflate the bubble. The Curious Capitalist
Even though the Asia-Pacific region has been the fastest-growing destination for U.S. exports, America's slice of the region's export market has fallen by 43% over the last decade. One reason for this is the proliferation of trade deals among other countries in the region. Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- UK economy grows at fastest pace since 2007
- Millions to be compensated for worthless card protection insurance
- A quarter of parents of young drivers are fraudulently "fronting" car insurance policies
- Almost five million people are at risk of poor pensions choices, says NAPF
- EDF cuts prices by a "paltry" 1.3%
- Facebook hailed by fund manager as the premium social media investment opportunity
- It's the nasty, unsuitable, unregulated overseas property schemes that are one of the biggest pension risks come April
- Apple posts highest quarterly profits of any public company
- P2P hits £1bn milestone: what you need to know about the new investment on the block
- 12% of UK adults spending at least 50% of take home pay on housing costs