Can the rest of Europe stand up to Germany?
- 22 June 2012
Steve Levine explains why an oil price crash – brought about by none other than the Saudis – will be the bane of the world's petro-rulers. National Public Radio
Anatole Kaletsky says the euro's only chance of survival depends on whether the other nations in the currency bloc can form a united front against Germany at next week's summit. Reuters
In comparing states that have cut public spending with the states that have expanded spending, Derek Thompson concludes that while the figures don't tell us that deficit spending is necessarily good for long-term growth. "What this report does tell us, however, is that there isn't any evidence that austerity does any good in a situation like ours." The Atlantic
Rana Foroohar suggests that investor flight to safety is creating a new kind of bubble – this time in U.S. bond markets. Moreover, the Fed's extension of ‘Operation Twist' this week will only further inflate the bubble. The Curious Capitalist
Even though the Asia-Pacific region has been the fastest-growing destination for U.S. exports, America's slice of the region's export market has fallen by 43% over the last decade. One reason for this is the proliferation of trade deals among other countries in the region. Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- Rather than economic recovery 2014 is more likely to see France return to recession
- Abenomics cannot succeed whilst real wages continue to fall in Japan
- After a two-year holiday it looks as though the Swiss Franc might be back
- Some 40% more likely to do business with a challenger bank compared to a year ago
- How ex-pats can get their currency conversion right
- The Scottish Independence vote - a 'yes' could bring Government closer to the people
- Could markets be heading towards a 60% crash?
- Energy customers warned that six fixed rate tariffs due to end on September 30th
- Short change - How worried should you be that hedge funds appear so reluctant to short?
- UK equity income sees £1bn net sales in July