Can the rest of Europe stand up to Germany?
- 22 June 2012
Steve Levine explains why an oil price crash – brought about by none other than the Saudis – will be the bane of the world's petro-rulers. National Public Radio
Anatole Kaletsky says the euro's only chance of survival depends on whether the other nations in the currency bloc can form a united front against Germany at next week's summit. Reuters
In comparing states that have cut public spending with the states that have expanded spending, Derek Thompson concludes that while the figures don't tell us that deficit spending is necessarily good for long-term growth. "What this report does tell us, however, is that there isn't any evidence that austerity does any good in a situation like ours." The Atlantic
Rana Foroohar suggests that investor flight to safety is creating a new kind of bubble – this time in U.S. bond markets. Moreover, the Fed's extension of ‘Operation Twist' this week will only further inflate the bubble. The Curious Capitalist
Even though the Asia-Pacific region has been the fastest-growing destination for U.S. exports, America's slice of the region's export market has fallen by 43% over the last decade. One reason for this is the proliferation of trade deals among other countries in the region. Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- We can expect plenty of good news in the UK Autumn Statement
- Is Abenomics unleashing a real wage and cost of living crisis on Japan just like the UK has seen?
- The economy of France has decoupled from that of Germany
- Will the government make peer-to-peer lending Isa-inclusive?
- Buying into the UK Industrial Renaissance
- Property - yield is important but there are other reasons to invest
- UK savings plummet as £23bn withdrawn from accounts
- State pension age to rise dramatically for the under 50s. The young can expect to work till they're 70
- The last five years before you retire are arguably the most important. De-risk your pension as you approach retirement
- Riding the property rollercoaster