Can the rest of Europe stand up to Germany?
- 22 June 2012
Steve Levine explains why an oil price crash – brought about by none other than the Saudis – will be the bane of the world's petro-rulers. National Public Radio
Anatole Kaletsky says the euro's only chance of survival depends on whether the other nations in the currency bloc can form a united front against Germany at next week's summit. Reuters
In comparing states that have cut public spending with the states that have expanded spending, Derek Thompson concludes that while the figures don't tell us that deficit spending is necessarily good for long-term growth. "What this report does tell us, however, is that there isn't any evidence that austerity does any good in a situation like ours." The Atlantic
Rana Foroohar suggests that investor flight to safety is creating a new kind of bubble – this time in U.S. bond markets. Moreover, the Fed's extension of ‘Operation Twist' this week will only further inflate the bubble. The Curious Capitalist
Even though the Asia-Pacific region has been the fastest-growing destination for U.S. exports, America's slice of the region's export market has fallen by 43% over the last decade. One reason for this is the proliferation of trade deals among other countries in the region. Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- Mindful Money's weekly shares watch: Easyjet, Wolseley & Amec
- Bond markets and currencies now "on a different path"
- Three must-dos for first time ISA investors
- British public far from convinced they can trust politicians when it comes to pensions
- US giants Kraft and Heinz to merge and form North America's third largest food and beverage company
- Strong inflation is not necessary for strong gains in gold
- Halifax launches new 18 month fixed rate ISA paying 1.60% while Skipton's bonus cash ISA goes online
- As new pension freedoms arrive the City watchdog urges retirees to be 'ScamSmart'
- Sage advice - institutional fund or Warren Buffett? Who would be your investment role model?
- UK inflation falls to zero