Ed Balls casts Brown shadow over cabinet
- 21 January 2011
The new Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls is arguably the Labour politician most associated with Gordon Brown.
Even before he was an MP or a Treasury minister but merely a Brown adviser, he was often sarcastically referred to as deputy Chancellor. That means among other things, he is also associated with just about every financial initiative taken during the Blair and Brown years, some of which are widely regarded as failures not least the system of financial regulation he helped create in 1997.
Balls is now in the role he has long coveted, well the Shadow version of it anyway.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- Neil Woodford: "I suspect there is a 50/50 likelihood that Pfizer will approach AstraZeneca again"
- 2015 sunshine for equities - but lower Chinese growth may drag on emerging markets
- Foreign buyers for UK regional properties outside London jump 20% in the first half of 2014
- Royal Mail at crossroads - new directions or lost up the garden path
- Generalist VCTs dominate as trade body publishes the top 20 performers of the last decade
- Got a pension pot of £30,000 or less? Then don't go into drawdown, says Aviva
- Savvy second time buyers biding their time to jump straight into a family home
- More than $2bn ploughed into Chinese stocks in a single day
- UK inflation: headline weakness, core resilience
- General Election 2015: What it might mean for investors...