End this depression, but how?
- 16 May 2012
In his new book End This Depression Now! Paul Krugman dismantles pro-austerity arguments. But by "treating the initial crisis as an anomaly caused by irresponsible financial behavior," writes Fred Block, he surrenders "the structuralist high ground to right-wing economists." Dissent Magazine
Here's one: JP Morgan "is the creator of credit default swaps – which caused the 2008 financial crisis, and is the asset class which blew up and caused the loss." The Big Picture
Matthew O'Brien says if we want to get serious about inequality, we have to get serious about fixing financial markets that are divorced from any economic fundamentals — or rules. The Atlantic
Key findings from a new paper show that rarely are countries able to cut spending during a slump without suffering from slowed growth or higher debt ratios. Next New Deal
With corporations around the world set to spend some of the nearly $8 trillion in emergency cash they've amassed, Neil Shah reports that this could help nudge the U.S. recovery onto stronger footing-and make it less vulnerable to Europe's troubles and America's own looming fiscal challenges. Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- British homeowners collectively estimated to have £433bn in savings despite the paltry rates on offer
- Barclays and Lloyds top the City watchdog's complaints list of shame for the second half of 2014
- Mortgages approvals climb for the third successive month to reach a six-month high in February claims Bank of England
- Don’t ignore the benefits of financial planning - at the start of the tax year...
- Share tips: Five European growth “gems” you may have missed
- Mindful Money's weekly shares watch: Kingfisher, Marks & Spencer & Booker
- Revealed: The top five credit cards to use while abroad
- Just over 10% of retirees expect to cash-in on the pension revolution
- Child Trust Fund transfers to Junior ISAs go live next week but where should you invest?
- The Far East is the stand-out region within Emerging Markets claims Fidelity - where to invest...