End this depression, but how?
- 16 May 2012
In his new book End This Depression Now! Paul Krugman dismantles pro-austerity arguments. But by "treating the initial crisis as an anomaly caused by irresponsible financial behavior," writes Fred Block, he surrenders "the structuralist high ground to right-wing economists." Dissent Magazine
Here's one: JP Morgan "is the creator of credit default swaps – which caused the 2008 financial crisis, and is the asset class which blew up and caused the loss." The Big Picture
Matthew O'Brien says if we want to get serious about inequality, we have to get serious about fixing financial markets that are divorced from any economic fundamentals — or rules. The Atlantic
Key findings from a new paper show that rarely are countries able to cut spending during a slump without suffering from slowed growth or higher debt ratios. Next New Deal
With corporations around the world set to spend some of the nearly $8 trillion in emergency cash they've amassed, Neil Shah reports that this could help nudge the U.S. recovery onto stronger footing-and make it less vulnerable to Europe's troubles and America's own looming fiscal challenges. Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- MPs warn pension freedoms risk being next mis-selling scandal
- Britain is swiftly becoming of a nation of ‘pre-tirees' claims new report
- The quest for the gold standard for European entrepreneurs - Mindful Money Q&A with Ariadne Capital's chief executive Julie Meyer
- Pensioners to spend £4.2bn on Christmas celebrations
- Iceland repays UK another £1.36bn to cover Icesave bail out
- Bank currency rigging fines help reduce UK borrowing
- City regulator to punish wrongdoers more harshly under new plans
- Planning a holiday? Find out which currencies are best value for Brits
- Extraordinary times…winners and losers in the oil game
- UK retail sales jump to 10-year high on the back of Black Friday's shopping frenzy