End this depression, but how?
- 16 May 2012
In his new book End This Depression Now! Paul Krugman dismantles pro-austerity arguments. But by "treating the initial crisis as an anomaly caused by irresponsible financial behavior," writes Fred Block, he surrenders "the structuralist high ground to right-wing economists." Dissent Magazine
Here's one: JP Morgan "is the creator of credit default swaps – which caused the 2008 financial crisis, and is the asset class which blew up and caused the loss." The Big Picture
Matthew O'Brien says if we want to get serious about inequality, we have to get serious about fixing financial markets that are divorced from any economic fundamentals — or rules. The Atlantic
Key findings from a new paper show that rarely are countries able to cut spending during a slump without suffering from slowed growth or higher debt ratios. Next New Deal
With corporations around the world set to spend some of the nearly $8 trillion in emergency cash they've amassed, Neil Shah reports that this could help nudge the U.S. recovery onto stronger footing-and make it less vulnerable to Europe's troubles and America's own looming fiscal challenges. Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- More than half of over-50s consider moving abroad
- PPI bill for the big banks passes £24bn
- Barclays boss claims end of free banking would be better for consumers
- Barclays profits drop 21% as chief takes his first bonus
- Dividend heroes: which investment company has increased payouts for 48 years in a row?
- City veteran Lord Rothschild claims the world faces a threat “perhaps as dangerous” as World War II
- Which? proposal for 'nationalised' income drawdown provider is a "recipe for disaster"
- Could the party policies on pension tax relief change your vote?
- Five fund picks for income investors
- Profits soar at Virgin Money as mortage lending surges