Energy independence is a farce
- 4 July 2012
What would energy independence actually do for the United States? For one, it won't dissolve America's fealty to global crude prices. For another, reducing its sources of energy would only make the U.S. economy less secure. The Atlantic
Stephanie Flanders says the libor scandal has shed light on an inconvenient truth about interbank lending rates: even when rates are not "fixed", they may still not bear very much relation to reality – because banks are not actually offering much unsecured money to each other at all. BBC
"The Fed has the ability to create as much money as it wants and can use that money to purchase every scrap of federal-government debt, every scrap of outstanding mortgage-backed securities backed by federal housing agencies, and as much foreign exchange as other governments will sell it." The Economist
By allowing freer, cross-border financial transactions in the yuan, Beijing is taking important step towards dismantling the capital controls that hold back the currency from being a true rival to the US dollar, writes Michael Schuman. TIME
With the unemployment rate above 8%, it's no surprise that jobs have become a major focus in the 2012 US presidential campaign. So with that being the case, Laura Tyson reveals how both candidates have very different ideas about how to boost employment and how Obama's proposals seem more convincing than Romney's. Project Syndicate
More on Mindful Money
Sign up to our daily newsletter and you could win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- The top 10 investment pitfalls to avoid in 2015’s ISA season
- City watchdog introduces new protection for consumers ahead of pension freedoms
- Mindful Money's weekly shares watch: BT Group, Royal Dutch Shell & Diageo
- UK economy grows at fastest pace since 2007
- Greek elections: What to expect now - expert reactions...
- Millions to be compensated for worthless card protection insurance
- New research highlights surge in pension scams since the announcement on new retirement freedoms
- A quarter of parents of young drivers are fraudulently "fronting" car insurance policies
- EDF cuts prices by a "paltry" 1.3%
- Energy supplier SSE cutting gas bills by a 'meagre 4.1%'