Greece: can’t pay/won’t pay?
- 25 May 2012
"Institutional investors, from pension funds to mutual funds sold directly to the public, have slashed holdings in the past decade. Stocks have not been so far out of favour for half a century. Many declare the ‘cult of the equity' dead." FT Alphaville
If the Glass-Steagall Act had still been around in 2008, it probably would not have prevented the financial crisis, writes Andrew Ross Sorkin. Deal book
Mark Harrison says economic history suggests that it is exceptionally difficult to persuade a country to hand over a significant fraction of its national income to foreigners over any sustained period of time. "Naked force will do the trick, but nothing less will do." Mark Harrison's Blog
Eamon Butler explains why the "eurobond" idea will distort the price mechanism and why the system builds in moral hazard for over-spent and over-borrowed countries like Greece and Italy to take advantage of the collective guarantee made by all 17 eurozone nations. Adam Smith Institute
After numerous rounds of monetary easing by both the Federal Reserve and the ECB, Graham Summers believes that recent statements – especially from Ben Bernanke, show that central bankers are finally coming around to the fact that monetary actions have not solved the issues that led to the crisis. Zero Hedge
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
To receive our free daily newsletter sign up here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- Will the Santa stock market rally happen at all this year?
- UK plc dividend growth set to improve in 2015 despite the absence of any bumper Vodafone-size payouts
- At last the real scandal emerges - the lid is lifted on the disgrace of old style overcharging pension contracts
- Experts tip the stocks to watch in 2015
- Investors warned to reassess their risk appetite in 2015
- Inflation falls to 12-year low of 1% as petrol and food prices drop
- Russia raises interest rates to 17%, but rouble continues to plummet
- Pensioner bond savings rates - what are the best alternatives?
- Mindful Money's weekly shares watch: Imagination Technologies, Dixons Carphone, Serco & Carnival
- Co-op fails Bank of England stress test