How Greek tax evasion sunk the economy
- 10 July 2012
Why did Greece have such a massive budget deficit in the first place? One factor (among others) was outrageous tax evasion – which robbed the Greek government of funds. And as it turns out, this was a very big deal indeed, writes Brad Plummer. Wonkbook
"Robots have come to destroy our way of life, just as we saw in Terminator 2: Judgement Day, though not as we expected. They're taking our jobs, and are forcing us to reexamine how we value ourselves." The Atlantic
In attacking Barclays' Bob Diamond for distorting markets by manipulating Libor rates, Jan Boucek argues that many members of the Treasury Select Committee are hypocrites because nobody manipulates markets more than those in Westminster. Adam Smith Institute
In an interview, Joe Stiglitz says much of what goes on in the financial sector – and what is contributing to income inequality – is rent-seeking. The most dramatic example being the abusive of credit card practices and predatory lending which have made those at the bottom worse off. Fox Business
A comparison of the magazine's stance on the banking industry during the time when the subprime market was coming apart (when it argued that Wall Street was overregulated), to its dramatic image and use of the pejorative term "banksters" on its cover page in last week's edition. Naked Capitalism
More on Mindful Money
Sign up to our daily newsletter and you could win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- The UK economy combines both house price inflation and goods price disinflationary pressure
- Is this finally the Grecovery we keep being promised?
- With the strong UK employment market is it time for Forward Guidance mark three?
- Why is Janet Yellen talking the US Dollar down?
- Looking for a mortgage after 25 April? Get prepared for your spending habits to be stress tested by your lender
- Are the oil majors having to come to terms with the dawning of solar power and what should investors do?
- Reviewing your protection insurance? Why whole of life insurance could be better than term assurance
- Preparing financially for having a baby
- Challenger banks Shawbrook and Close Brothers launch market leading fixed-rate bonds
- Are you an Expat with investment property in the UK? - You could be liable for UK Capital Gains Tax