Saving Private Euro: What if Spain falls?
- 26 June 2012
With states like Mississippi, New Mexico, and Alabama relying on ginormous transfers of federal taxes in the form of unemployment benefits and Medicaid, would New York, California and Texas be better off with their own currencies? The Atlantic
It is not just the crisis that is escalating; so too is the discussion on the potential solutions. This piece by Bernard Delbecque proposes what to do if Spain is next to fail. Vox Eu
After studying the behavior of recoveries from recessions across 59 developed and emerging economies over the past 40 years, three academics find little or no difference in the pace of output growth across different types of recessions. The Big Picture
David Henderson says despite what we often hear: that big cuts in government spending over a short period of time are a bad idea, empirical evidence shows "that after the biggest percentage government spending cuts in American history-the cuts in government spending after World War II-the economy boomed." Hoover Institution
After the government's announcement that it could scrap housing benefit for under-25s, Pete Spence explains why the reasons for needing housing benefit in the first place are largely driven by state failure. Adam Smith Institute
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- Falling UK real wages cannot be covered up with housing market subsidies forever
- The UK economy gets quite a boost from the official statisticians
- How long can France afford its economy to continue stagnating for?
- Three stock picks from F&C European Small Cap manager Sam Cosh
- Government to abolish 55% death tax on pensions
- Just one year to go before Britons can get up to £1,300 a year in State Pension top-ups
- Osborne's move to abolish 55% tax on inherited pensions: Expert reactions and commentary
- Mindful Money's weekly shares watch: Sainsbury’s, Wolseley & Compass
- Mortgage price war continues
- Sainsbury's ad blunder causes Twitter storm