Saving Private Euro: What if Spain falls?
- 26 June 2012
With states like Mississippi, New Mexico, and Alabama relying on ginormous transfers of federal taxes in the form of unemployment benefits and Medicaid, would New York, California and Texas be better off with their own currencies? The Atlantic
It is not just the crisis that is escalating; so too is the discussion on the potential solutions. This piece by Bernard Delbecque proposes what to do if Spain is next to fail. Vox Eu
After studying the behavior of recoveries from recessions across 59 developed and emerging economies over the past 40 years, three academics find little or no difference in the pace of output growth across different types of recessions. The Big Picture
David Henderson says despite what we often hear: that big cuts in government spending over a short period of time are a bad idea, empirical evidence shows "that after the biggest percentage government spending cuts in American history-the cuts in government spending after World War II-the economy boomed." Hoover Institution
After the government's announcement that it could scrap housing benefit for under-25s, Pete Spence explains why the reasons for needing housing benefit in the first place are largely driven by state failure. Adam Smith Institute
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- More signs of Currency Wars emerge and some songs for #Indyref day in Scotland
- Why are real wages in the UK continuing to fall in an economic boom?
- What to do about the problem that is Japan and its economy?
- Retail investors should be wary of Alibaba hype if they have missed out on the 'IPO pop'
- The Alibaba roadshow runs into town but is it worth 20 times the $8bn it is aiming to raise?
- Storm warning – Investors must not believe the current benign times will persist indefinitely
- The thing we definitely know about the Scottish vote - sterling will react one way or another
- Warning on cruise ship medical costs if passengers get sick
- UK retail sales edge up in August - helped by a dash for vacuum cleaners
- The thing we definitely know about the Scottish vote - the pound will react one way or another