Saving Private Euro: What if Spain falls?
- 26 June 2012
With states like Mississippi, New Mexico, and Alabama relying on ginormous transfers of federal taxes in the form of unemployment benefits and Medicaid, would New York, California and Texas be better off with their own currencies? The Atlantic
It is not just the crisis that is escalating; so too is the discussion on the potential solutions. This piece by Bernard Delbecque proposes what to do if Spain is next to fail. Vox Eu
After studying the behavior of recoveries from recessions across 59 developed and emerging economies over the past 40 years, three academics find little or no difference in the pace of output growth across different types of recessions. The Big Picture
David Henderson says despite what we often hear: that big cuts in government spending over a short period of time are a bad idea, empirical evidence shows "that after the biggest percentage government spending cuts in American history-the cuts in government spending after World War II-the economy boomed." Hoover Institution
After the government's announcement that it could scrap housing benefit for under-25s, Pete Spence explains why the reasons for needing housing benefit in the first place are largely driven by state failure. Adam Smith Institute
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- The UK current account deficit does not matter much according to the Bank of England
- Despite the promises real wages continue to fall in Japan
- Are German bond yields a canary in a coalmine?
- Financial watchdog warns investors about interest rate risk to corporate bonds
- Guest blog - planning your retirement like packing for your holiday
- The UK equity income funds that consistently deliver - and those that struggle
- Are banks now a buying opportunity for investors?
- High Street banks out of favour with income share and fund investors, but is it time to reassess?
- Mindful Money's weekly share watch: Barclays, ITV & AstraZeneca
- UK plc profit warnings rocket to three-year high