Saving Private Euro: What if Spain falls?
- 26 June 2012
With states like Mississippi, New Mexico, and Alabama relying on ginormous transfers of federal taxes in the form of unemployment benefits and Medicaid, would New York, California and Texas be better off with their own currencies? The Atlantic
It is not just the crisis that is escalating; so too is the discussion on the potential solutions. This piece by Bernard Delbecque proposes what to do if Spain is next to fail. Vox Eu
After studying the behavior of recoveries from recessions across 59 developed and emerging economies over the past 40 years, three academics find little or no difference in the pace of output growth across different types of recessions. The Big Picture
David Henderson says despite what we often hear: that big cuts in government spending over a short period of time are a bad idea, empirical evidence shows "that after the biggest percentage government spending cuts in American history-the cuts in government spending after World War II-the economy boomed." Hoover Institution
After the government's announcement that it could scrap housing benefit for under-25s, Pete Spence explains why the reasons for needing housing benefit in the first place are largely driven by state failure. Adam Smith Institute
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- What will happen next to the UK economy?
- How do we defuse the UK student debt time bomb?
- The Bank of England blows its own trumpet but what purpose is it now serving?
- Oh those ghoulish gold bugs
- Tesco shares rise as retailer paves the way for new CEO
- Government incentive to encourage retirees to delay taking state pension slashed by almost 50%
- Millions of retirees to be offered free and impartial guidance under new pension rules
- Pension reforms: The six points savers need to know
- "Should I stay or should I go?" What to consider if your investment fund is under-performing
- Which towns pay the highest amount of income tax in the UK?