Saving Private Euro: What if Spain falls?
- 26 June 2012
With states like Mississippi, New Mexico, and Alabama relying on ginormous transfers of federal taxes in the form of unemployment benefits and Medicaid, would New York, California and Texas be better off with their own currencies? The Atlantic
It is not just the crisis that is escalating; so too is the discussion on the potential solutions. This piece by Bernard Delbecque proposes what to do if Spain is next to fail. Vox Eu
After studying the behavior of recoveries from recessions across 59 developed and emerging economies over the past 40 years, three academics find little or no difference in the pace of output growth across different types of recessions. The Big Picture
David Henderson says despite what we often hear: that big cuts in government spending over a short period of time are a bad idea, empirical evidence shows "that after the biggest percentage government spending cuts in American history-the cuts in government spending after World War II-the economy boomed." Hoover Institution
After the government's announcement that it could scrap housing benefit for under-25s, Pete Spence explains why the reasons for needing housing benefit in the first place are largely driven by state failure. Adam Smith Institute
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- US giants Kraft and Heinz to merge and form North America's third largest food and beverage company
- Strong inflation is not necessary for strong gains in gold
- UK inflation falls to zero
- Gocompare launches current account switching service which pioneers the use of the government’s ‘midata’ initiative
- Debunked: The top 10 most common pension myths
- Making the most of low inflation – and where to find today’s best savings deals
- Equitable Life's capital distribution rises to 35% just in time for the pension freedoms
- Retirees who raid pensions will be blocked from state benefits
- Private equity group 3G reportedly in $40bn takeover talks with Kraft
- An investor's guide to peer to peer lending