The Scam Wall Street Learned from the Mafia
- 29 June 2012
Matt Taibbi brilliantly describes how banks conned small towns across the US. "No thumbs were broken, and nobody ended up in a landfill in New Jersey, but money disappeared, lots and lots of it, and its manner of disappearance had a familiar name: Organised crime." Rolling Stone
In one of the three books reviewed by economists Robin Wells and Paul Krugman, they explain how Obama's economic team fumbled the recovery because of its links to Wall Street. The New York Review of Book
Noah Smith argues that the prestige of the marco field of economics is falling because as things stand, macro is mostly a "science" without falsification. Therefore, macroeconomists need to admit their ignorance more often and search for better ways to falsify macro theories in a more convincing way. Noahpinion
In this piece, Merrill Goozner points our attention to the current tug of war between the credit supply and demand issues facing small businesses amid a sluggish economic environment. The American Prospect
"Monti has failed to produce the miracle that Italy was hoping for, offering only painful remedies for years of misgovernment. It turns out that politics matter, and technocrats aren't much good at politics." Bloomberg View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- What has happened to food and energy prices and inflation in 2014?
- Both the Bank of England and the UK Public Finances are having a Mad Hatters Tea Party
- Invesco Perpetual's Mark Barnett on where UK equities go from here
- Mindful Money's weekly share-tips: Sports Direct, Reed Elsevier, Unilever, William Hill and WPP
- AstraZeneca gets a Pfizer boost
- Gap between investor income expectations and actual returns widens
- Consumer group Fairer Finance calls on banks and insurers to spare their customers the small print
- Despite greater pension freedom retirees are set to see their income collapse
- AstraZeneca shares jump 7% on the back of rumoured Pfizer takeover
- Men taking much more investment risk than women