The Scam Wall Street Learned from the Mafia
- 29 June 2012
Matt Taibbi brilliantly describes how banks conned small towns across the US. "No thumbs were broken, and nobody ended up in a landfill in New Jersey, but money disappeared, lots and lots of it, and its manner of disappearance had a familiar name: Organised crime." Rolling Stone
In one of the three books reviewed by economists Robin Wells and Paul Krugman, they explain how Obama's economic team fumbled the recovery because of its links to Wall Street. The New York Review of Book
Noah Smith argues that the prestige of the marco field of economics is falling because as things stand, macro is mostly a "science" without falsification. Therefore, macroeconomists need to admit their ignorance more often and search for better ways to falsify macro theories in a more convincing way. Noahpinion
In this piece, Merrill Goozner points our attention to the current tug of war between the credit supply and demand issues facing small businesses amid a sluggish economic environment. The American Prospect
"Monti has failed to produce the miracle that Italy was hoping for, offering only painful remedies for years of misgovernment. It turns out that politics matter, and technocrats aren't much good at politics." Bloomberg View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- Are these the seven biggest risks to investors from the pension income reforms?
- Brighton is the gazumping capital
- Brokers backing Prudential following strong market update
- Is Stamp Duty reform on the cards? Hargreaves Lansdown's predictions for Autumn Statement
- Tesco Bank re-enters the best buy tables
- Treasury U-turns on "unworkable" pension rules
- The new pension reforms are only months away - is your financial adviser looking after your needs?
- Sales of annuities continue to plummet on the back of upcoming pension freedom
- Ballooning sovereign debt threatens global recovery, Standard Life warns
- Youth poverty surges while pensioners facing financial hardship falls to lowest ever level