The Scam Wall Street Learned from the Mafia
- 29 June 2012
Matt Taibbi brilliantly describes how banks conned small towns across the US. "No thumbs were broken, and nobody ended up in a landfill in New Jersey, but money disappeared, lots and lots of it, and its manner of disappearance had a familiar name: Organised crime." Rolling Stone
In one of the three books reviewed by economists Robin Wells and Paul Krugman, they explain how Obama's economic team fumbled the recovery because of its links to Wall Street. The New York Review of Book
Noah Smith argues that the prestige of the marco field of economics is falling because as things stand, macro is mostly a "science" without falsification. Therefore, macroeconomists need to admit their ignorance more often and search for better ways to falsify macro theories in a more convincing way. Noahpinion
In this piece, Merrill Goozner points our attention to the current tug of war between the credit supply and demand issues facing small businesses amid a sluggish economic environment. The American Prospect
"Monti has failed to produce the miracle that Italy was hoping for, offering only painful remedies for years of misgovernment. It turns out that politics matter, and technocrats aren't much good at politics." Bloomberg View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- 10 investment mistakes and how to avoid them in the 2016 ISA season
- Mortgage rates may be low but fees have surged to a near two-year high
- Five tips to ensure a successful home insurance claim
- Tui Travel tipped as a "Buy" despite global unrest hitting bookings
- Savers urged to act fast to make the most of higher rate pension tax relief while it still lasts
- Expert comment: "Time to hit the panic button?"
- George Osborne’s budget surplus goal - "a precarious balancing act"
- Pension drawdown risks in the spotlight after another painful day on the markets
- Bad news for half-term holidaymakers as pound falls to one-year low against the euro
- Npower announces 5.2% cut to standard annual gas bill