The Scam Wall Street Learned from the Mafia
- 29 June 2012
Matt Taibbi brilliantly describes how banks conned small towns across the US. "No thumbs were broken, and nobody ended up in a landfill in New Jersey, but money disappeared, lots and lots of it, and its manner of disappearance had a familiar name: Organised crime." Rolling Stone
In one of the three books reviewed by economists Robin Wells and Paul Krugman, they explain how Obama's economic team fumbled the recovery because of its links to Wall Street. The New York Review of Book
Noah Smith argues that the prestige of the marco field of economics is falling because as things stand, macro is mostly a "science" without falsification. Therefore, macroeconomists need to admit their ignorance more often and search for better ways to falsify macro theories in a more convincing way. Noahpinion
In this piece, Merrill Goozner points our attention to the current tug of war between the credit supply and demand issues facing small businesses amid a sluggish economic environment. The American Prospect
"Monti has failed to produce the miracle that Italy was hoping for, offering only painful remedies for years of misgovernment. It turns out that politics matter, and technocrats aren't much good at politics." Bloomberg View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- The UK economy combines both house price inflation and goods price disinflationary pressure
- With the strong UK employment market is it time for Forward Guidance mark three?
- Why is Janet Yellen talking the US Dollar down?
- The Bank of England finds that its own Quantitative Easing worked superbly!
- Are the oil majors having to come to terms with the dawning of solar power and what should investors do?
- Challenger banks Shawbrook and Close Brothers launch market leading fixed-rate bonds
- Are you an Expat with investment property in the UK? - You could be liable for UK Capital Gains Tax
- Where to find an inflation beating savings account
- Budget pension revolution: Just 5% of pension investors planning to blow all the money and rely on state pension
- Cost of living eases as inflation drops to 1.6% in March - its lowest level since October 2009