The Scam Wall Street Learned from the Mafia
- 29 June 2012
Matt Taibbi brilliantly describes how banks conned small towns across the US. "No thumbs were broken, and nobody ended up in a landfill in New Jersey, but money disappeared, lots and lots of it, and its manner of disappearance had a familiar name: Organised crime." Rolling Stone
In one of the three books reviewed by economists Robin Wells and Paul Krugman, they explain how Obama's economic team fumbled the recovery because of its links to Wall Street. The New York Review of Book
Noah Smith argues that the prestige of the marco field of economics is falling because as things stand, macro is mostly a "science" without falsification. Therefore, macroeconomists need to admit their ignorance more often and search for better ways to falsify macro theories in a more convincing way. Noahpinion
In this piece, Merrill Goozner points our attention to the current tug of war between the credit supply and demand issues facing small businesses amid a sluggish economic environment. The American Prospect
"Monti has failed to produce the miracle that Italy was hoping for, offering only painful remedies for years of misgovernment. It turns out that politics matter, and technocrats aren't much good at politics." Bloomberg View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- Are the UK Pound Sterling and the Euro safe havens in the currency wars?
- The curious case of the Neil Woodford best sellers
- Most consistent income paying funds revealed in new report
- Aviva tipped as a 'buy' as investors are cheered by upbeat set of results
- Despite the strife, investment trust managers still backing Russia as a long term play
- FTSE 100 Friday close: Market falls while insurer Aviva bounces back
- Current account market set to heat up as M&S Bank unveils its latest offer
- Ukraine crisis: Equities still show opportunities says Templeton emerging markets guru Mark Mobius
- A simple video guide to Junior Isas from Platforum with suggestions for the right fund platforms to invest with
- Hargreaves Lansdown tips reform of small pension pot rules in Budget to allow as many as 150,000 to get their money back