Why China won’t rule
- 22 May 2012
As the backlash against German-led austerity continues, historian Victor Davis Hanson points out that anytime Germany has been both unified and isolated, armed conflict has followed. So "I would not keep poking the Germans unless you are able to deal with them when they wake up." National Review Online
"The financial re-engineering of Europe is a prerequisite for the euro to survive. Greece is bringing forward that moment of truth. And yet politicians, particularly in Germany, have still to accept the logic, let alone explain it." The Economist
Given the strong political connections between JPMorgan Chase and the Obama administration, Simon Johnson calls for an independent investigation into what happened at the bank. Furthermore, he presents five questions that such an investigation should consider. Economix
Even though many pundits have raised the question about whether China is poised to overtake the US and become the world's next superpower, Robert Skidelsky says the more sensible question, is not whether China will replace the US, but whether it will start to acquire some of the attributes of a world power. Project Syndicate
"Central bankers were much too arrogant and claimed much too much credit and much too much impact in the good years. Trying to be honest with people about policy limitations while not sounding like you're resigned has been hard." Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- The UK current account deficit does not matter much according to the Bank of England
- Despite the promises real wages continue to fall in Japan
- Financial watchdog warns investors about interest rate risk to corporate bonds
- The UK equity income funds that consistently deliver - and those that struggle
- Guest blog - planning your retirement like packing for your holiday
- Are banks now a buying opportunity for investors?
- Mindful Money's weekly share watch: Barclays, ITV & AstraZeneca
- UK plc profit warnings rocket to three-year high
- High Street banks out of favour with income share and fund investors, but is it time to reassess?
- House price growth flat over June and now up a reduced 6.4% over 12 months