Why China won’t rule
- 22 May 2012
As the backlash against German-led austerity continues, historian Victor Davis Hanson points out that anytime Germany has been both unified and isolated, armed conflict has followed. So "I would not keep poking the Germans unless you are able to deal with them when they wake up." National Review Online
"The financial re-engineering of Europe is a prerequisite for the euro to survive. Greece is bringing forward that moment of truth. And yet politicians, particularly in Germany, have still to accept the logic, let alone explain it." The Economist
Given the strong political connections between JPMorgan Chase and the Obama administration, Simon Johnson calls for an independent investigation into what happened at the bank. Furthermore, he presents five questions that such an investigation should consider. Economix
Even though many pundits have raised the question about whether China is poised to overtake the US and become the world's next superpower, Robert Skidelsky says the more sensible question, is not whether China will replace the US, but whether it will start to acquire some of the attributes of a world power. Project Syndicate
"Central bankers were much too arrogant and claimed much too much credit and much too much impact in the good years. Trying to be honest with people about policy limitations while not sounding like you're resigned has been hard." Real Time Economics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- Woodford Investment Management's Neil Woodford: "British science is in great shape"
- Britons saving at an ever increasing rate as the population becomes more concerned over its future wealth
- HSBC Advantage offers fantastic ISA offer to existing account holders/ Charter Savings Bank enters market
- Oil price drop - emerging markets winners and losers
- More than half of over-50s consider moving abroad
- Eurozone inflation figures suggest the region's economic backdrop is improving
- What have been the best performing investment funds since December 1999?
- Barclays boss claims end of free banking would be better for consumers
- Barclays profits drop 21% as chief takes his first bonus
- Dividend heroes: which investment company has increased payouts for 48 years in a row?