Why do economies stop growing?
- 24 May 2012
Michael Spence, a Nobel laureate in economics identifies the slew of self-limiting growth patterns that are that are preventing advanced and developing countries from achieving sustainable economic growth. Project Syndicate
"The unpalatable truth is that European countries can no longer rescue themselves from stagnation without international support. What should have happened at the G-8 – and what must happen at the G-20 next month – is a coordinated global response that will help Europe decisively address the two elements of the crisis that are being ignored." New York Times
Republicans love talking about cuts, but they're not so big on implementing them, writes Mark Schmit. Next New Deal
Vuk Vukovic argues that the idea of depicting the debate as austerity vs growth is wrong. "This implies that the solution is the opposite of austerity – a monetary or fiscal stimulus to close down the nominal GDP gap. Even if a short-term fiscal or monetary stimulus can temporarily boost growth, that isn't the way towards a proper restructuring of the economy." Adam Smith
Robert Reich wishes the President would draw the obvious connection between Bain Capital and JPMorgan Chase: both are part of a deadly strain of capitalism that is based on gambling with other people's money. Robert Reich
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- Tui Travel tipped as a "Buy" despite global unrest hitting bookings
- Bad news for half-term holidaymakers as pound falls to one-year low against the euro
- Green energy provider Ecotricity cuts gas bills 7%
- Pension drawdown risks in the spotlight after another painful day on the markets
- Savers urged to act fast to make the most of higher rate pension tax relief while it still lasts
- Three investment strategies to help investors navigate volatile markets
- Pension funds fall 2.5% after a turbulent January
- Commodities cast a long shadow over earnings season
- Broker view: Six funds for your Isa
- Dividend delights: 3 shares set to deliver sustainable income