Why Greece’s election doesn’t matter
- 20 June 2012
According to Michael Schuman, one reason why the Greek election doesn't matter much is that Greece itself is becoming something of a sideshow in the eurozone debt crisis. "The real action is farther west, mainly in Spain, but also in Italy." Time Business
If you're unemployed, is it a good idea to turn down a job you don't like? Bill Barnett argues that no answer applies to everyone all the time. It depends on your situation and on the job. He therefore offers four issues to consider before you decide to accept a job offer. Harvard Business Review Blog
Gary Becker says even though Mayor Bloomberg's proposal to ban sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces from restaurants, street carts, movie theatres and stadiums, makes little sense, and could even increase the consumption of these drinks, it does raise once again the question of how far governments should go in interfering with consumer choices? The Becker-Posner Blog
Should we be losing sleep over governments having to pay high interest rates to borrow money? Stephanie Flanders says yes because the spike in yields isn't only telling us that their debt is now perceived to be more risky. It could also be telling us investors do not want to buy it at any price. BBC
Adam Smith in The Wealth Of Nations said: "The proposal of any new law or regulation which comes from [businessmen], ought always to be listened to with great precaution, and ought never to be adopted till after having been long and carefully examined, not only with the most scrupulous, but with the most suspicious attention." Adam Smith Institution
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- Dear future British Government, "We'll build £30bn worth of new homes to rent, if you give us the right environment"
- We've underestimated life expectancy, study warns
- Pension freedoms could leave divorcees out of pocket
- Church of England goes green: plans to sell fossil fuel investments
- Lloyds takes £660m hit from TSB sale
- Heating vs health: 15,000 died from cold homes last winter
- Rising life expectancy means you need to keep testing your financial plans
- Co-op Bank launches best two-year mortgage on the market
- Does the bond market tantrum signal the end of the bond bull run?
- How will the general election influence the currency market?