Why Greece’s election doesn’t matter
- 20 June 2012
According to Michael Schuman, one reason why the Greek election doesn't matter much is that Greece itself is becoming something of a sideshow in the eurozone debt crisis. "The real action is farther west, mainly in Spain, but also in Italy." Time Business
If you're unemployed, is it a good idea to turn down a job you don't like? Bill Barnett argues that no answer applies to everyone all the time. It depends on your situation and on the job. He therefore offers four issues to consider before you decide to accept a job offer. Harvard Business Review Blog
Gary Becker says even though Mayor Bloomberg's proposal to ban sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces from restaurants, street carts, movie theatres and stadiums, makes little sense, and could even increase the consumption of these drinks, it does raise once again the question of how far governments should go in interfering with consumer choices? The Becker-Posner Blog
Should we be losing sleep over governments having to pay high interest rates to borrow money? Stephanie Flanders says yes because the spike in yields isn't only telling us that their debt is now perceived to be more risky. It could also be telling us investors do not want to buy it at any price. BBC
Adam Smith in The Wealth Of Nations said: "The proposal of any new law or regulation which comes from [businessmen], ought always to be listened to with great precaution, and ought never to be adopted till after having been long and carefully examined, not only with the most scrupulous, but with the most suspicious attention." Adam Smith Institution
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- 2015 sunshine for equities - but lower Chinese growth may drag on emerging markets
- Got a pension pot of £30,000 or less? Then don't go into drawdown, says Aviva
- Foreign buyers for UK regional properties outside London jump 20% in the first half of 2014
- Royal Mail at crossroads - new directions or lost up the garden path
- Generalist VCTs dominate as trade body publishes the top 20 performers of the last decade
- UK inflation: headline weakness, core resilience
- Savvy second time buyers biding their time to jump straight into a family home
- More than £41m of premium bond prizes remain unclaimed
- General Election 2015: What it might mean for investors...
- Private rents rise to a new high of £770 a month