Why Greece’s election doesn’t matter
- 20 June 2012
According to Michael Schuman, one reason why the Greek election doesn't matter much is that Greece itself is becoming something of a sideshow in the eurozone debt crisis. "The real action is farther west, mainly in Spain, but also in Italy." Time Business
If you're unemployed, is it a good idea to turn down a job you don't like? Bill Barnett argues that no answer applies to everyone all the time. It depends on your situation and on the job. He therefore offers four issues to consider before you decide to accept a job offer. Harvard Business Review Blog
Gary Becker says even though Mayor Bloomberg's proposal to ban sugary drinks larger than 16 ounces from restaurants, street carts, movie theatres and stadiums, makes little sense, and could even increase the consumption of these drinks, it does raise once again the question of how far governments should go in interfering with consumer choices? The Becker-Posner Blog
Should we be losing sleep over governments having to pay high interest rates to borrow money? Stephanie Flanders says yes because the spike in yields isn't only telling us that their debt is now perceived to be more risky. It could also be telling us investors do not want to buy it at any price. BBC
Adam Smith in The Wealth Of Nations said: "The proposal of any new law or regulation which comes from [businessmen], ought always to be listened to with great precaution, and ought never to be adopted till after having been long and carefully examined, not only with the most scrupulous, but with the most suspicious attention." Adam Smith Institution
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- Pension ISA at risk of being a 'Gordon Brown moment'
- Investing in China in the Year of the Monkey: Investors need to be nimble and smart
- Financial fibs: 3 in 10 keep money secrets from their spouse
- Four AIM stock tips for intrepid investors to consider for their ISA
- US judge rules HSBC must reveal secret money-laundering report
- Landlords in the dark about impending tax hike and lending clamp-down
- BG posts solid final results ahead of Shell takeover
- Oil price falls have boosted wages and economy, says Bank
- Londoners are the best savers in the country
- Vodafone shares are a ‘buy’ as the group reports yet another quarter of growth