24th January 2014
1) The Governor of the Bank of England Mark Carney does not envisage an interest rate rise any time soon despite the record increase in employment. The economy has not yet reached escape velocity, he says. Business leaders in the Midlands say a rate rise now would choke recovery reports the Birmingham Post.
2) Pearson shares are hit by a profit warning focused on in its North American education business. Shares fell 9% on the week.
3) Good news for investors as investment platforms bring out their pricing. With an analysis of Fidelity, Hargreaves Lansdown and Axa, The Lang Cat consultancy compared the prices.
4) Royal Mail group sales are up particularly larger parcels in the run up to Christmas, the firm said in an interim statement. One for long term investors to consider.
5) No price cap yet on workplace pensions but it is expected to be 0.75% and to be brought in before the next election says Pension Minister Steve Webb.