Best of the Finance Blogs: ‘Austerity? What Austerity?’
- 2 March 2012
Does studying Business and Economics make you less honest, or do people who feel less strongly about morals find themselves more attracted to those subjects? Economists Raul Lopez-Perez and Eli Spiegelman decide to find out. Five-Minute Economist
Vuk Vukovic says Britain is far from austerity: "Yes, some painful cuts have been made but what does the government do with this saved up money? It "invests" in credit easing, housing subsidies, the youth contract and infrastructural projects. They are all part of a Keynesian response to the crisis." Adam Smith Institute
According to John B. Taylor, the real cause of the panic in 2008 was the ad hoc and unpredictable policies leading up to and following the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers. Not the Lehman bankruptcy per se as economist Paul Krugman believes. Economics One
Lawrence Kudlow explains why Mitt Romney's proposal for an across-the board 20 percent reduction in personal tax rates is different from George W. Bush's tax cuts in 2003. He concludes that Romney's plan shows he gets the supply-side approach. Kudlow's Money Politics
This blogger notices that the hit talent show can influence the outcome in ways other than feedback from the judges. He highlights research from others that test this hypothesis. Weakonomics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- HSS Hire flotation is chance to buy into 'strong market position'
- Three quarters of Britons are planning to cut back and save this year
- House price gap is narrowing in UK but growth expected to plateau this year
- Oil price jumps on Saudi king's death
- Is the ECB repeating the Fed's 1986 mistake?
- Tax changes and benefit cuts mean UK's poorest families have lost most under coalition
- Eurozone set to be the winner in the 'currency war' this year, says AXA IM
- Npower cuts gas bills by 5.1% but experts argue it's not enough
- Euro slumps to 11-year low against dollar on QE announcement
- Will we see Dollar/Euro parity? And learning the lessons of leverage and liquidity