Best of the Finance Blogs: ‘Austerity? What Austerity?’
- 2 March 2012
Does studying Business and Economics make you less honest, or do people who feel less strongly about morals find themselves more attracted to those subjects? Economists Raul Lopez-Perez and Eli Spiegelman decide to find out. Five-Minute Economist
Vuk Vukovic says Britain is far from austerity: "Yes, some painful cuts have been made but what does the government do with this saved up money? It "invests" in credit easing, housing subsidies, the youth contract and infrastructural projects. They are all part of a Keynesian response to the crisis." Adam Smith Institute
According to John B. Taylor, the real cause of the panic in 2008 was the ad hoc and unpredictable policies leading up to and following the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers. Not the Lehman bankruptcy per se as economist Paul Krugman believes. Economics One
Lawrence Kudlow explains why Mitt Romney's proposal for an across-the board 20 percent reduction in personal tax rates is different from George W. Bush's tax cuts in 2003. He concludes that Romney's plan shows he gets the supply-side approach. Kudlow's Money Politics
This blogger notices that the hit talent show can influence the outcome in ways other than feedback from the judges. He highlights research from others that test this hypothesis. Weakonomics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- Woodford Investment Management's Neil Woodford: "British science is in great shape"
- Britons saving at an ever increasing rate as the population becomes more concerned over its future wealth
- HSBC Advantage offers fantastic ISA offer to existing account holders/ Charter Savings Bank enters market
- More than half of over-50s consider moving abroad
- Oil price drop - emerging markets winners and losers
- What have been the best performing investment funds since December 1999?
- Eurozone inflation figures suggest the region's economic backdrop is improving
- Barclays boss claims end of free banking would be better for consumers
- PPI bill for the big banks passes £24bn
- Barclays profits drop 21% as chief takes his first bonus