Best of the Finance Blogs: ‘Austerity? What Austerity?’
- 2 March 2012
Does studying Business and Economics make you less honest, or do people who feel less strongly about morals find themselves more attracted to those subjects? Economists Raul Lopez-Perez and Eli Spiegelman decide to find out. Five-Minute Economist
Vuk Vukovic says Britain is far from austerity: "Yes, some painful cuts have been made but what does the government do with this saved up money? It "invests" in credit easing, housing subsidies, the youth contract and infrastructural projects. They are all part of a Keynesian response to the crisis." Adam Smith Institute
According to John B. Taylor, the real cause of the panic in 2008 was the ad hoc and unpredictable policies leading up to and following the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers. Not the Lehman bankruptcy per se as economist Paul Krugman believes. Economics One
Lawrence Kudlow explains why Mitt Romney's proposal for an across-the board 20 percent reduction in personal tax rates is different from George W. Bush's tax cuts in 2003. He concludes that Romney's plan shows he gets the supply-side approach. Kudlow's Money Politics
This blogger notices that the hit talent show can influence the outcome in ways other than feedback from the judges. He highlights research from others that test this hypothesis. Weakonomics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
- The UK economy combines both house price inflation and goods price disinflationary pressure
- With the strong UK employment market is it time for Forward Guidance mark three?
- Why is Janet Yellen talking the US Dollar down?
- Are the oil majors having to come to terms with the dawning of solar power and what should investors do?
- Challenger banks Shawbrook and Close Brothers launch market leading fixed-rate bonds
- Are you an Expat with investment property in the UK? - You could be liable for UK Capital Gains Tax
- The Bank of England finds that its own Quantitative Easing worked superbly!
- Where to find an inflation beating savings account
- Budget pension revolution: Just 5% of pension investors planning to blow all the money and rely on state pension
- Cost of living eases as inflation drops to 1.6% in March - its lowest level since October 2009