Best of the Finance Blogs: How much is a good central banker worth?
- 20 April 2012
Great Britain gets a lot of things wrong, like food and spelling. But here's something they get right: "They're willing to poach the best central bankers from around the world for the top spots at the Bank of England." The Atlantic
Digging through the last 15 years and some insight from British investor Jeremy Grantham's quarterly newsletter, Edward Harrison explains why missing a bull market is a dismissible offense. Credit Writedowns
After watching an episode in which an infant dies of measles contracted from another child whose parents refuse to vaccinate her. Daniel Hamermesh says this is a "classic case of whether concerns about potential negative externalities outweigh the desire to keep the government from dictating private behaviour." Freakonomics
This infographic shows how America's banks reap massive profits from unregulated casino-style betting, and how the derivatives bubble has grown so big that it eclipses the global economy several times over. Zero Hedge
With President Barack Obama announcing this week that oil markets need ‘more cops on the beat' to flush out so-called ‘evil speculators,' economist Mark Thoma makes a very strong case against the speculation hypothesis. Economist View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- More than half a million over-40s plan to use their pension to repay their mortgage
- Global stock market crash is “timely” for long-term investors and the economy claims financial adviser
- Why you should invest in emerging markets now
- Will you still need to carry cash in five years' time?
- Local authorities instructed bailiffs to collect debts on 2.1m occasions last year
- Aberdeen targets diversification with new fund launch
- Market turmoil: what the savvy investors are buying
- US economy grew by far more than initially thought in the second quarter, official numbers show
- How much will it cost to send your children back to school?
- Buy, sell or hold? Amec Foster Wheeler investors still affected by low oil prices