Best of the Finance Blogs: How much is a good central banker worth?
- 20 April 2012
Great Britain gets a lot of things wrong, like food and spelling. But here's something they get right: "They're willing to poach the best central bankers from around the world for the top spots at the Bank of England." The Atlantic
Digging through the last 15 years and some insight from British investor Jeremy Grantham's quarterly newsletter, Edward Harrison explains why missing a bull market is a dismissible offense. Credit Writedowns
After watching an episode in which an infant dies of measles contracted from another child whose parents refuse to vaccinate her. Daniel Hamermesh says this is a "classic case of whether concerns about potential negative externalities outweigh the desire to keep the government from dictating private behaviour." Freakonomics
This infographic shows how America's banks reap massive profits from unregulated casino-style betting, and how the derivatives bubble has grown so big that it eclipses the global economy several times over. Zero Hedge
With President Barack Obama announcing this week that oil markets need ‘more cops on the beat' to flush out so-called ‘evil speculators,' economist Mark Thoma makes a very strong case against the speculation hypothesis. Economist View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- With the strong UK employment market is it time for Forward Guidance mark three?
- Why is Janet Yellen talking the US Dollar down?
- The Bank of England finds that its own Quantitative Easing worked superbly!
- Are the oil majors having to come to terms with the dawning of solar power and what should investors do?
- Are you an Expat with investment property in the UK? - You could be liable for UK Capital Gains Tax
- Where to find an inflation beating savings account
- Budget pension revolution: Just 5% of pension investors planning to blow all the money and rely on state pension
- Home repossessions in the North of England outstripping the South by 44%
- Not buying an annuity? Could investment trusts be the answer to your income needs? Plus Pacific Assets and Schroder Oriental Income
- Property outside London - what's the market like if we ignore the Capital?