Best of the Finance Blogs: How much is a good central banker worth?
- 20 April 2012
Great Britain gets a lot of things wrong, like food and spelling. But here's something they get right: "They're willing to poach the best central bankers from around the world for the top spots at the Bank of England." The Atlantic
Digging through the last 15 years and some insight from British investor Jeremy Grantham's quarterly newsletter, Edward Harrison explains why missing a bull market is a dismissible offense. Credit Writedowns
After watching an episode in which an infant dies of measles contracted from another child whose parents refuse to vaccinate her. Daniel Hamermesh says this is a "classic case of whether concerns about potential negative externalities outweigh the desire to keep the government from dictating private behaviour." Freakonomics
This infographic shows how America's banks reap massive profits from unregulated casino-style betting, and how the derivatives bubble has grown so big that it eclipses the global economy several times over. Zero Hedge
With President Barack Obama announcing this week that oil markets need ‘more cops on the beat' to flush out so-called ‘evil speculators,' economist Mark Thoma makes a very strong case against the speculation hypothesis. Economist View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- Got a pension pot of £30,000 or less? Then don't go into drawdown, says Aviva
- More than £41m of premium bond prizes remain unclaimed
- General Election 2015: What it might mean for investors...
- Private rents rise to a new high of £770 a month
- Want to invest in property? 5 reasons to be bullish on UK housebuilders
- The Royal Bank of Scotland hit with £56m fine for 2012 IT failures
- Eurozone could lose one in six workers due to population ageing claims new research
- Taking a longer view of investment returns...
- Gross mortgage lending jumps 8% year-on-year in October
- UK borrowing improves in October, but still £3.7bn higher than last year