Best of the Finance Blogs: How much is a good central banker worth?
- 20 April 2012
Great Britain gets a lot of things wrong, like food and spelling. But here's something they get right: "They're willing to poach the best central bankers from around the world for the top spots at the Bank of England." The Atlantic
Digging through the last 15 years and some insight from British investor Jeremy Grantham's quarterly newsletter, Edward Harrison explains why missing a bull market is a dismissible offense. Credit Writedowns
After watching an episode in which an infant dies of measles contracted from another child whose parents refuse to vaccinate her. Daniel Hamermesh says this is a "classic case of whether concerns about potential negative externalities outweigh the desire to keep the government from dictating private behaviour." Freakonomics
This infographic shows how America's banks reap massive profits from unregulated casino-style betting, and how the derivatives bubble has grown so big that it eclipses the global economy several times over. Zero Hedge
With President Barack Obama announcing this week that oil markets need ‘more cops on the beat' to flush out so-called ‘evil speculators,' economist Mark Thoma makes a very strong case against the speculation hypothesis. Economist View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- What are the prospects of disinflation and falling prices in the UK?
- Are the UK Pound Sterling and the Euro safe havens in the currency wars?
- From 'burdened by bills' to 'socialites'. Report finds huge variety of spending habits among older households
- The curious case of the Neil Woodford best sellers
- Santander kicks off cash Isa season with mixed bag of offers
- House prices soar 7.9% in a year. Estate agent says some regions "approaching madness"
- Santander launching new Isa range on Monday including two year fix paying two per cent.
- Here today, Gox tomorrow – Bitcoin remains little more than a speculators’ playground
- Edmund's ETF/IT Portfolio Up 2.8% in 3 weeks
- Hargreaves Lansdown publishes performance of Wealth 150 in last ten years