Best of the Finance Blogs: How much is a good central banker worth?
- 20 April 2012
Great Britain gets a lot of things wrong, like food and spelling. But here's something they get right: "They're willing to poach the best central bankers from around the world for the top spots at the Bank of England." The Atlantic
Digging through the last 15 years and some insight from British investor Jeremy Grantham's quarterly newsletter, Edward Harrison explains why missing a bull market is a dismissible offense. Credit Writedowns
After watching an episode in which an infant dies of measles contracted from another child whose parents refuse to vaccinate her. Daniel Hamermesh says this is a "classic case of whether concerns about potential negative externalities outweigh the desire to keep the government from dictating private behaviour." Freakonomics
This infographic shows how America's banks reap massive profits from unregulated casino-style betting, and how the derivatives bubble has grown so big that it eclipses the global economy several times over. Zero Hedge
With President Barack Obama announcing this week that oil markets need ‘more cops on the beat' to flush out so-called ‘evil speculators,' economist Mark Thoma makes a very strong case against the speculation hypothesis. Economist View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- Compulsory in-car cameras to cut insurance costs: would you object?
- Retirees raiding pensions next year risk huge tax bills
- Three options for investors to ride out FTSE turmoil
- Bond markets are pricing much weaker growth
- Bank of England chief economist 'gloomier' on outlook for UK
- Pensions minister calls for 'unwinding' of annuities bought pre-pension reform
- Find out which FTSE 350 chief earned 2,000 times the living wage last year
- Mindful Money's weekly shares watch: Tesco, GlaxoSmithKline & Unilever
- Second steppers need to find £60k to move home
- Gov't consults on third-way ISA for P2P lending