Best of the Finance Blogs: How much is a good central banker worth?
- 20 April 2012
Great Britain gets a lot of things wrong, like food and spelling. But here's something they get right: "They're willing to poach the best central bankers from around the world for the top spots at the Bank of England." The Atlantic
Digging through the last 15 years and some insight from British investor Jeremy Grantham's quarterly newsletter, Edward Harrison explains why missing a bull market is a dismissible offense. Credit Writedowns
After watching an episode in which an infant dies of measles contracted from another child whose parents refuse to vaccinate her. Daniel Hamermesh says this is a "classic case of whether concerns about potential negative externalities outweigh the desire to keep the government from dictating private behaviour." Freakonomics
This infographic shows how America's banks reap massive profits from unregulated casino-style betting, and how the derivatives bubble has grown so big that it eclipses the global economy several times over. Zero Hedge
With President Barack Obama announcing this week that oil markets need ‘more cops on the beat' to flush out so-called ‘evil speculators,' economist Mark Thoma makes a very strong case against the speculation hypothesis. Economist View
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- Gay couple lose court fight for equal pension rights
- Tesco profits tumble 55%
- Alternative ways to get exposure to Lloyds and other banks
- Cameron promises to turn Generation Rent into Generation Buy with new affordable homes
- Is the UK economy actually starting to overheat? The indicators say yes...
- Car insurance to cost £50 more this year than last, and will rise again
- Two-thirds of investors could be unwittingly supporting unethical industries
- Passives make up 50% of most popular funds last quarter
- 120,000 investors have already registered their interest in Lloyds shares sale, with one broker
- Almost 10% of female home buyers claim they have endured mortgage discrimination