Is China a currency manipulator?
- 10 May 2012
"Because so much oil and natural gas is locked up in places with unstable regimes or unsavory leaders-from Equatorial Guinea to Indonesia to Russia-ExxonMobil often finds itself with more power to affect the local society than the best-intentioned State Department functionaries." The American Prospect
As Europe faces the threat of financial market rebellion, Jeff Madrick tells European leaders to listen to the people and end austerity. Next New Deal
While worries abound about the status of the dollar as the world's reserve currency and what it would mean for the US politically and economically if it weakened. Economist Barry Eichengreen shows there are both benefits and snags to the dollar as a reserve currency. The American Interest
Despite claims that the yuan is undervalued, John Aziz says people are forgetting that every nation with a fiat currency is to some degree a currency manipulator. "That's what fiat is all about: the ability of the state to manipulate markets through monetary policy." Zero Hedge
"Governments may pay lip service, but in times of stress they face a strong temptation to force central bankers to cover budget deficits through the printing press. Often the bankers don't wait to be told (witness the Federal Reserve's recent rounds of quantitative easing)." The Everyday Economist
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
Sign up for our free email newsletter here.
- The UK economy combines both house price inflation and goods price disinflationary pressure
- Is this finally the Grecovery we keep being promised?
- With the strong UK employment market is it time for Forward Guidance mark three?
- Looking for a mortgage after 25 April? Get prepared for your spending habits to be stress tested by your lender
- Why is Janet Yellen talking the US Dollar down?
- Reviewing your protection insurance? Why whole of life insurance could be better than term assurance
- Preparing financially for having a baby
- Are the oil majors having to come to terms with the dawning of solar power and what should investors do?
- Challenger banks Shawbrook and Close Brothers launch market leading fixed-rate bonds
- Are you an Expat with investment property in the UK? - You could be liable for UK Capital Gains Tax