Reading List: Growing an economy by growing weed
- 17 April 2012
This article says the legalization of cannabis in Rasquera, a municipality of about 900 and less than 100 miles from Barcelona could bring much needed revenue to government coffers. Scientific American
"Just like Britain before 1929, Europe's Periphery was being secretly buffeted by a slow-burning recession well before 2008. Labouring under an overvalued currency, their industries were being depleted in exchange for phoney growth" Yanis Varoufakis
Here's a few of them: Creating jobs is not the same as creating wealth, the only way to increase a nation's real income is to increase its real output and my favourite: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." Library of Economics and Liberty
Eight questions you've always wanted to ask about U.S. taxes, answered with pictures! The Atlantic
An exclusive interview with the 9th most powerful woman in the world and the managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) TIME
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading or watching? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- If UK house prices are peaking then what happens next?
- UK monetary policy is expansionary for banks and housing but what about exporters?
- Eurozone money numbers better, early QE unlikely
- Possible flight disruption from Icelandic eruption - travellers warned to check their insurance policies for exclusions
- Savers put record amount in stocks and shares ISAs
- Tesco in trouble after profit warning and divi cut but analysts hold on
- Open, not shut, case - Extra information can be a bad thing if you do not keep an open mind
- 2.5m PPI cases to be reviewed over unfair rejections and pitiful payouts
- Adviser banned after investors lose £30m in unregulated property funds
- TSB offers borrowers council tax cashback but how do its mortgage rates stack up?