Reading List: Growing an economy by growing weed
- 17 April 2012
This article says the legalization of cannabis in Rasquera, a municipality of about 900 and less than 100 miles from Barcelona could bring much needed revenue to government coffers. Scientific American
"Just like Britain before 1929, Europe's Periphery was being secretly buffeted by a slow-burning recession well before 2008. Labouring under an overvalued currency, their industries were being depleted in exchange for phoney growth" Yanis Varoufakis
Here's a few of them: Creating jobs is not the same as creating wealth, the only way to increase a nation's real income is to increase its real output and my favourite: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." Library of Economics and Liberty
Eight questions you've always wanted to ask about U.S. taxes, answered with pictures! The Atlantic
An exclusive interview with the 9th most powerful woman in the world and the managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) TIME
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading or watching? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- Is an Irish economic miracle in progress?
- Is the UK seeing a pre-election stimulus rather than more austerity?
- Tesco shares plummet as supermarket reveals it overshot profit forecast by £250m
- The Royal Mint launches bullion trading service
- Mindful Money's weekly share watch: Carnival & United Utilities
- The UK’s top 25 money saving tips are...
- Savers gearing up for the brave new world of pensions - and many might even save more
- Cost of the average flat up by more than £50,000 over the past 10 years
- Brokers tip plastic packaging supplier RPC as a 'buy'
- Research shows record number of people now plan to use property to fund their retirement