Reading List: Growing an economy by growing weed
- 17 April 2012
This article says the legalization of cannabis in Rasquera, a municipality of about 900 and less than 100 miles from Barcelona could bring much needed revenue to government coffers. Scientific American
"Just like Britain before 1929, Europe's Periphery was being secretly buffeted by a slow-burning recession well before 2008. Labouring under an overvalued currency, their industries were being depleted in exchange for phoney growth" Yanis Varoufakis
Here's a few of them: Creating jobs is not the same as creating wealth, the only way to increase a nation's real income is to increase its real output and my favourite: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." Library of Economics and Liberty
Eight questions you've always wanted to ask about U.S. taxes, answered with pictures! The Atlantic
An exclusive interview with the 9th most powerful woman in the world and the managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) TIME
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading or watching? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- The Manchester United and David Moyes saga is all about the debt and leverage
- What has happened to food and energy prices and inflation in 2014?
- Both the Bank of England and the UK Public Finances are having a Mad Hatters Tea Party
- Invesco Perpetual's Mark Barnett on where UK equities go from here
- AstraZeneca gets a Pfizer boost
- Mindful Money's weekly share-tips: Sports Direct, Reed Elsevier, Unilever, William Hill and WPP
- The unanswered question - could new mortgage lending rules restrain house prices - outside London at least?
- Gap between investor income expectations and actual returns widens
- Despite greater pension freedom retirees are set to see their income collapse
- Lower earners and self employed may fail to get mortgages as big lenders' computerised decisions apply tougher lending rules