Reading List: Growing an economy by growing weed
- 17 April 2012
This article says the legalization of cannabis in Rasquera, a municipality of about 900 and less than 100 miles from Barcelona could bring much needed revenue to government coffers. Scientific American
"Just like Britain before 1929, Europe's Periphery was being secretly buffeted by a slow-burning recession well before 2008. Labouring under an overvalued currency, their industries were being depleted in exchange for phoney growth" Yanis Varoufakis
Here's a few of them: Creating jobs is not the same as creating wealth, the only way to increase a nation's real income is to increase its real output and my favourite: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." Library of Economics and Liberty
Eight questions you've always wanted to ask about U.S. taxes, answered with pictures! The Atlantic
An exclusive interview with the 9th most powerful woman in the world and the managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) TIME
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading or watching? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- Scams on the rise following new pension freedoms
- Driving in inappropriate footwear could invalidate your car insurance
- Five stocks you shouldn't 'sell in May'
- Right to Buy extended to 1.3m housing association tenants, but Shelter warns of trouble ahead
- Five funds to weather the bond market storm
- Ryanair finds it pays to be nice as profits soar 66% on customer service drive
- Personal allowance to rise with minimum wage
- Watchdog investigates as thousands of vulnerable customers are switched to pre-paid meters
- Government pledges no income tax rises for five years, plus other Queen's Speech news
- Regulator looks to fine three men £80m over sales of 'death bonds'