Reading List: Growing an economy by growing weed
- 17 April 2012
This article says the legalization of cannabis in Rasquera, a municipality of about 900 and less than 100 miles from Barcelona could bring much needed revenue to government coffers. Scientific American
"Just like Britain before 1929, Europe's Periphery was being secretly buffeted by a slow-burning recession well before 2008. Labouring under an overvalued currency, their industries were being depleted in exchange for phoney growth" Yanis Varoufakis
Here's a few of them: Creating jobs is not the same as creating wealth, the only way to increase a nation's real income is to increase its real output and my favourite: "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch." Library of Economics and Liberty
Eight questions you've always wanted to ask about U.S. taxes, answered with pictures! The Atlantic
An exclusive interview with the 9th most powerful woman in the world and the managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) TIME
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading or watching? Tell us below
Sign up for our free email newsletter here, for your chance to win an Amazon Kindle Touch.
- Mindful Money's weekly shares watch: Tesco, GlaxoSmithKline & Unilever
- Bond markets are pricing much weaker growth
- Responsible investment doesn't have to mean sacrificing returns
- Is India presently enjoying a “Goldilocks moment”
- Are bank stocks the new utilities?
- Weak corporate earnings and the strength of sterling drags UK dividend growth to a standstill
- Brits lose £670m per year to online fraudsters
- High and dry – There is a reason some fixed income investments are known as ‘junk’ bonds
- Taxman sees 70% rise in fraudulent 'phishing' emails
- Mortgage lending up 10% on an annual basis in September but market is "sitting on a plateau"