Reading List: Has the Great Recession made us forever poorer?
- 20 March 2012
The disconnect between jobs and GDP data in the US might mean the country will never fully recover from the financial crisis in 2008. If policymakers don't do anything about long-term unemployment, it might cost America its long-term prosperity. The Atlantic
In response to the cover of last week's edition of The Economist, Barry Ritholtz remarks: "The timing of this could very well mark a top in economic activity, but by the rules of magazine indicators, I am going to suggest this one fails to qualify." The Big Picture
Minxin Pei says the World Bank's much-applauded report on the future of the Chinese economy shied away from the most critical question: "Will the Chinese government actually heed its advice and swallow the bitter medicine, given the country's one-party political system?" Project Syndicate
Contrary to popular belief, Miranda Xafa argues that an exit from the Eurozone and a return to the drachma would be "all pain, no gain." Vox EU
Jason Rave believes arguments that say quantitative easing is the cause of the recent oil spike, lacks any "resemblance of rational economic analysis." Macro Matters
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- HSS Hire flotation is chance to buy into 'strong market position'
- Three quarters of Britons are planning to cut back and save this year
- Oil price jumps on Saudi king's death
- House price gap is narrowing in UK but growth expected to plateau this year
- Is the ECB repeating the Fed's 1986 mistake?
- Tax changes and benefit cuts mean UK's poorest families have lost most under coalition
- Eurozone set to be the winner in the 'currency war' this year, says AXA IM
- Npower cuts gas bills by 5.1% but experts argue it's not enough
- Euro slumps to 11-year low against dollar on QE announcement
- Will we see Dollar/Euro parity? And learning the lessons of leverage and liquidity