Reading List: Has the Great Recession made us forever poorer?
- 20 March 2012
The disconnect between jobs and GDP data in the US might mean the country will never fully recover from the financial crisis in 2008. If policymakers don't do anything about long-term unemployment, it might cost America its long-term prosperity. The Atlantic
In response to the cover of last week's edition of The Economist, Barry Ritholtz remarks: "The timing of this could very well mark a top in economic activity, but by the rules of magazine indicators, I am going to suggest this one fails to qualify." The Big Picture
Minxin Pei says the World Bank's much-applauded report on the future of the Chinese economy shied away from the most critical question: "Will the Chinese government actually heed its advice and swallow the bitter medicine, given the country's one-party political system?" Project Syndicate
Contrary to popular belief, Miranda Xafa argues that an exit from the Eurozone and a return to the drachma would be "all pain, no gain." Vox EU
Jason Rave believes arguments that say quantitative easing is the cause of the recent oil spike, lacks any "resemblance of rational economic analysis." Macro Matters
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- Up to 1.7 million people could face shock pensions tax bill
- Barclays and Lloyds top the City watchdog's complaints list of shame for the second half of 2014
- British homeowners collectively estimated to have £433bn in savings despite the paltry rates on offer
- The Far East is the stand-out region within Emerging Markets claims Fidelity - where to invest...
- Mortgages approvals climb for the third successive month to reach a six-month high in February claims Bank of England
- Nearly five million households are at risk of financial difficulty if fuel prices rise
- Child Trust Fund transfers to Junior ISAs go live next week but where should you invest?
- Share tips: Five European growth “gems” you may have missed
- Don’t ignore the benefits of financial planning - at the start of the tax year...
- Mindful Money's weekly shares watch: Kingfisher, Marks & Spencer & Booker