Reading List: Is China going capitialist?
- 5 April 2012
Simon Johnson insists that there's no need for panic over America's fiscal situation. "The smart approach is to begin the long and not-so-nice work of controlling deficits while allowing the economy to grow." Economix
Does the recent uptick in data concerning the U.S. economy mean that recoveries from financial crises might not be as different from recoveries from conventional recessions? Two economists – Carmen M. Reinhart and Kenneth S. Rogoff remain unconvinced. Bloomberg
Noting that the above notion "is of course nonsense" – as China has been a mercantilist state for more than 20 years, this article says over-spending on infrastructure and a shrinking population means China has little chance of continuing it current growth without a major economic catastrophe. Capitalists@Work
Matthew Yglesias says as bad as the Depression was, the population's ability to up sticks and move to other parts of the county because living standards were so low, may have made the Great Depression less severe. Slate
"Export success will resurrect the United States as a dominant global economic power. America will be wealthier, its products will have greater global reach, and it will largely cure its trade imbalance with China." American Interest
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
- The UK economy combines both house price inflation and goods price disinflationary pressure
- Is this finally the Grecovery we keep being promised?
- With the strong UK employment market is it time for Forward Guidance mark three?
- Looking for a mortgage after 25 April? Get prepared for your spending habits to be stress tested by your lender
- Reviewing your protection insurance? Why whole of life insurance could be better than term assurance
- Preparing financially for having a baby
- Mindful Money's Monday share tips: SABMiller, Tesco, Burberry, Reckitt Benckiser
- Challenger banks Shawbrook and Close Brothers launch market leading fixed-rate bonds
- Parking fines by councils reach nearly £255 million in 2013. With tables of the top finers by local authority
- Are you an Expat with investment property in the UK? - You could be liable for UK Capital Gains Tax