Reading List: Is China going capitialist?
- 5 April 2012
Simon Johnson insists that there's no need for panic over America's fiscal situation. "The smart approach is to begin the long and not-so-nice work of controlling deficits while allowing the economy to grow." Economix
Does the recent uptick in data concerning the U.S. economy mean that recoveries from financial crises might not be as different from recoveries from conventional recessions? Two economists – Carmen M. Reinhart and Kenneth S. Rogoff remain unconvinced. Bloomberg
Noting that the above notion "is of course nonsense" – as China has been a mercantilist state for more than 20 years, this article says over-spending on infrastructure and a shrinking population means China has little chance of continuing it current growth without a major economic catastrophe. Capitalists@Work
Matthew Yglesias says as bad as the Depression was, the population's ability to up sticks and move to other parts of the county because living standards were so low, may have made the Great Depression less severe. Slate
"Export success will resurrect the United States as a dominant global economic power. America will be wealthier, its products will have greater global reach, and it will largely cure its trade imbalance with China." American Interest
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
- The UK current account deficit does not matter much according to the Bank of England
- Despite the promises real wages continue to fall in Japan
- Are German bond yields a canary in a coalmine?
- Guest blog - planning your retirement like packing for your holiday
- The UK equity income funds that consistently deliver - and those that struggle
- Are banks now a buying opportunity for investors?
- High Street banks out of favour with income share and fund investors, but is it time to reassess?
- Mindful Money's weekly share watch: Barclays, ITV & AstraZeneca
- UK plc profit warnings rocket to three-year high
- House price growth flat over June and now up a reduced 6.4% over 12 months