Reading List: Is China going capitialist?
- 5 April 2012
Simon Johnson insists that there's no need for panic over America's fiscal situation. "The smart approach is to begin the long and not-so-nice work of controlling deficits while allowing the economy to grow." Economix
Does the recent uptick in data concerning the U.S. economy mean that recoveries from financial crises might not be as different from recoveries from conventional recessions? Two economists – Carmen M. Reinhart and Kenneth S. Rogoff remain unconvinced. Bloomberg
Noting that the above notion "is of course nonsense" – as China has been a mercantilist state for more than 20 years, this article says over-spending on infrastructure and a shrinking population means China has little chance of continuing it current growth without a major economic catastrophe. Capitalists@Work
Matthew Yglesias says as bad as the Depression was, the population's ability to up sticks and move to other parts of the county because living standards were so low, may have made the Great Depression less severe. Slate
"Export success will resurrect the United States as a dominant global economic power. America will be wealthier, its products will have greater global reach, and it will largely cure its trade imbalance with China." American Interest
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- Woodford Investment Management's Neil Woodford: "British science is in great shape"
- Britons saving at an ever increasing rate as the population becomes more concerned over its future wealth
- HSBC Advantage offers fantastic ISA offer to existing account holders/ Charter Savings Bank enters market
- More than half of over-50s consider moving abroad
- Oil price drop - emerging markets winners and losers
- What have been the best performing investment funds since December 1999?
- Eurozone inflation figures suggest the region's economic backdrop is improving
- Barclays boss claims end of free banking would be better for consumers
- Barclays profits drop 21% as chief takes his first bonus
- Dividend heroes: which investment company has increased payouts for 48 years in a row?