Reading List: Is Greece’s the longest recession in history?
- 29 February 2012
Does this gaffe prove that Mitt Romney is a closet Keynesian? – "If you just cut, if all you're thinking about doing is cutting spending, as you cut spending you'll slow down the economy." New York Times
Greece is in the midst of a recession that has been described as the longest ever recorded. But how does Greece's predicament compare to other tough times in world history? BBC
The case for austerity appears increasingly weak. But this article argues that the case for it becomes stronger when you look at Asian countries' path from the financial crisis in the late 1990's to surprising growth and prosperity today. Project Syndicate
"Obama apparently does not know that the European countries that have become "fairer" over the past two decades are now basket cases of debt, social unrest." Forbes
Whatever you call it, crude oil is a sought after resource that drives the global economy, just look at how oil prices have risen this year alone. This infographic shows how high oil prices affect the U.S. economy. Submit Infographics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
- The Manchester United and David Moyes saga is all about the debt and leverage
- What has happened to food and energy prices and inflation in 2014?
- Both the Bank of England and the UK Public Finances are having a Mad Hatters Tea Party
- Invesco Perpetual's Mark Barnett on where UK equities go from here
- AstraZeneca gets a Pfizer boost
- Mindful Money's weekly share-tips: Sports Direct, Reed Elsevier, Unilever, William Hill and WPP
- The unanswered question - could new mortgage lending rules restrain house prices - outside London at least?
- Gap between investor income expectations and actual returns widens
- Despite greater pension freedom retirees are set to see their income collapse
- Lower earners and self employed may fail to get mortgages as big lenders' computerised decisions apply tougher lending rules