Reading List: Is Greece’s the longest recession in history?
- 29 February 2012
Does this gaffe prove that Mitt Romney is a closet Keynesian? – "If you just cut, if all you're thinking about doing is cutting spending, as you cut spending you'll slow down the economy." New York Times
Greece is in the midst of a recession that has been described as the longest ever recorded. But how does Greece's predicament compare to other tough times in world history? BBC
The case for austerity appears increasingly weak. But this article argues that the case for it becomes stronger when you look at Asian countries' path from the financial crisis in the late 1990's to surprising growth and prosperity today. Project Syndicate
"Obama apparently does not know that the European countries that have become "fairer" over the past two decades are now basket cases of debt, social unrest." Forbes
Whatever you call it, crude oil is a sought after resource that drives the global economy, just look at how oil prices have risen this year alone. This infographic shows how high oil prices affect the U.S. economy. Submit Infographics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
- Dear future British Government, "We'll build £30bn worth of new homes to rent, if you give us the right environment"
- We've underestimated life expectancy, study warns
- Pension freedoms could leave divorcees out of pocket
- Church of England goes green: plans to sell fossil fuel investments
- Lloyds takes £660m hit from TSB sale
- Heating vs health: 15,000 died from cold homes last winter
- Co-op Bank launches best two-year mortgage on the market
- Rising life expectancy means you need to keep testing your financial plans
- Does the bond market tantrum signal the end of the bond bull run?
- How will the general election influence the currency market?