Reading List: Is Greece’s the longest recession in history?
- 29 February 2012
Does this gaffe prove that Mitt Romney is a closet Keynesian? – "If you just cut, if all you're thinking about doing is cutting spending, as you cut spending you'll slow down the economy." New York Times
Greece is in the midst of a recession that has been described as the longest ever recorded. But how does Greece's predicament compare to other tough times in world history? BBC
The case for austerity appears increasingly weak. But this article argues that the case for it becomes stronger when you look at Asian countries' path from the financial crisis in the late 1990's to surprising growth and prosperity today. Project Syndicate
"Obama apparently does not know that the European countries that have become "fairer" over the past two decades are now basket cases of debt, social unrest." Forbes
Whatever you call it, crude oil is a sought after resource that drives the global economy, just look at how oil prices have risen this year alone. This infographic shows how high oil prices affect the U.S. economy. Submit Infographics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
- How did the economy of the Netherlands expand by 7.6% in 2010?
- Will contagion from Russia and the Ukraine affect Cyprus?
- World War 8 in the Gold Price...If You Believe the Headlines
- Institute of Economic Affairs warns of huge tax rises and cuts due to 'staggering indebtedness'
- Japan's QE blitz yields disappointing results
- Is it time to buy into emerging markets?
- Mark Carney is wrong about UK economy says Henderson's Simon Ward. Rate rise would cut risk of 2015 inflation surge
- First time buyer numbers jump 38% in a year. Buy to let mortgages jump 40%
- What you need to know about investing in European funds and some ideas for your Isa
- Is the time right for commodity funds? Investment experts pick their favourites