Reading List: Is Greece’s the longest recession in history?
- 29 February 2012
Does this gaffe prove that Mitt Romney is a closet Keynesian? – "If you just cut, if all you're thinking about doing is cutting spending, as you cut spending you'll slow down the economy." New York Times
Greece is in the midst of a recession that has been described as the longest ever recorded. But how does Greece's predicament compare to other tough times in world history? BBC
The case for austerity appears increasingly weak. But this article argues that the case for it becomes stronger when you look at Asian countries' path from the financial crisis in the late 1990's to surprising growth and prosperity today. Project Syndicate
"Obama apparently does not know that the European countries that have become "fairer" over the past two decades are now basket cases of debt, social unrest." Forbes
Whatever you call it, crude oil is a sought after resource that drives the global economy, just look at how oil prices have risen this year alone. This infographic shows how high oil prices affect the U.S. economy. Submit Infographics
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
- 10 investment mistakes and how to avoid them in the 2016 ISA season
- Tui Travel tipped as a "Buy" despite global unrest hitting bookings
- Mortgage rates may be low but fees have surged to a near two-year high
- Bad news for half-term holidaymakers as pound falls to one-year low against the euro
- Pension drawdown risks in the spotlight after another painful day on the markets
- Savers urged to act fast to make the most of higher rate pension tax relief while it still lasts
- Five tips to ensure a successful home insurance claim
- Expert comment: "Time to hit the panic button?"
- George Osborne’s budget surplus goal - "a precarious balancing act"
- "Good quality defensive firms offer opportunities for positive returns"