Reading List: Too big to jail
- 23 February 2012
Simon Johnson reflects on a recent settlement in which five large banks "settled" their legal liability for carrying out fraudulent foreclosures on mortgages. He concludes that the outcome of the case sends the message that banks are not only "too big to fail, but also too big to jail." Project Syndicate
"Capital flight, soaring borrowing costs, tanking currency and stocks and a central bank forced to pump vast amounts of cash into local banks — that is what Japan may have to contend with if it fails to tackle its snowballing debt" – ouch! Reuters
Talk of bringing manufacturing "back to America" is foolish because the real issue isn't how to get manufacturing back. "It's how to get good jobs and good wages back. They aren't at all the same thing." Robert Reich
Richard Kirsch says republican candidates are split between supporting free market purists and the public's desire for a living wage. New Deal 2.0
After reading Ralph Hawtrey's Trade Depression and the Way Out, David Glasner highlights differences between the interwar and the pre-war gold standards and what would happen if a gold standard were to be restored today. Uneasy Money
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below?
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- MPs warn pension freedoms risk being next mis-selling scandal
- Pensioners to spend £4.2bn on Christmas celebrations
- Iceland repays UK another £1.36bn to cover Icesave bail out
- The three key themes for fixed interest in 2015
- Bank currency rigging fines help reduce UK borrowing
- Planning a holiday? Find out which currencies are best value for Brits
- City regulator to punish wrongdoers more harshly under new plans
- Connaught directors banned for allowing misuse of £106m of investors' money
- Gov't limits holiday back-pay claims to 2 years
- Will 2015 see Lloyds return to the dividend list?