Reading List: Why Portugal may be the next Greece
- 27 March 2012
A shrining economy, high bond yields and higher private-sector debt than Greece, make Portugal Europe's second biggest problem, according to Michael Sivy. TIME
Two academics find two different stories emerged from how Emerging Asia coped with the financial crisis of 2007-2009 – in particular how global financial markets and international trade affected some but not others. Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco
When Britain raised the income tax rate from 45% to 50% on the wealthy, it produced less revenue than had been predicted, but how such a step might play in the United States is uncertain, Bruce Bartlett writes. Economix
An interview with political economist Robert Reich where he says despite three decades of growing inequality in America, which have imperiled democracy, there are precedents for a way out. The Browser
Sam Bowman concludes after reading a piece by Bryan Caplan in which he discusses the problems with GDP, "when people – especially politicians – treat GDP as the end-goal, they've misunderstood what the point of GDP is." Adam Smith
Get the best of the financial news via the Finance Blogs
Got any other suggestions for what we should be reading? Tell us below
To receive our free email newsletter sign up here.
Mindful money Mortgage Tool Box
Looking To Re-mortgage
How Much Could You Borrow
How Much Is Your Home Worth
Find a Mortgage Advisor
- British homeowners collectively estimated to have £433bn in savings despite the paltry rates on offer
- Barclays and Lloyds top the City watchdog's complaints list of shame for the second half of 2014
- Mortgages approvals climb for the third successive month to reach a six-month high in February claims Bank of England
- Don’t ignore the benefits of financial planning - at the start of the tax year...
- Share tips: Five European growth “gems” you may have missed
- Mindful Money's weekly shares watch: Kingfisher, Marks & Spencer & Booker
- Revealed: The top five credit cards to use while abroad
- Just over 10% of retirees expect to cash-in on the pension revolution
- Child Trust Fund transfers to Junior ISAs go live next week but where should you invest?
- The Far East is the stand-out region within Emerging Markets claims Fidelity - where to invest...