Re-election of President Giorgio Napolitano may be more important for Italy than appointment of Enrico Letta as PM
- 29 April 2013
The re-election of Italy’s President could be a more important event than the appointment of a new Prime Minister argues Gilles Guibout, European equity portfolio manager at AXA Investment Managers.
The fund manager says that Italy may even be moving closer to a presidential system.
“Arguably more important than the appointment of Enrico Letta as the new Italian Prime Minister, is the re-election of 87 year old Giorgio Napolitano for a second presidential term. This was the real surprise of last week. Reluctantly accepting this position and agreeing to serve a second term has given Giorgio Napolitano a new status and great authority as President. This could be a major turning point towards a more presidential system.”
He suggests that the Government may last longer than expected due to fears among politicians about the Five Star Movement led by Beppe Grillo.
“These events show how the situation in which the country finds itself in is complex, but have eventually led to the appointment of a coalition government tasked with carrying out specific structural reforms including a change to Italy’s much criticised electoral laws. Everyone is still shocked by the degree of success achieved by the anti-establishment Five Star Movement led by Beppe Grillo which is now the main opposition party,” he says.
“Fear of this alternative may mean that the new government has a longer life expectancy than you would guess from the many observers who are already predicting new elections in the near future.Such a scenario would bring some stability and may potentially lead to a normalisation of the risk premium, allowing the Italian stock market to appreciate.”
- The UK economy combines both house price inflation and goods price disinflationary pressure
- Is this finally the Grecovery we keep being promised?
- With the strong UK employment market is it time for Forward Guidance mark three?
- Why is Janet Yellen talking the US Dollar down?
- Looking for a mortgage after 25 April? Get prepared for your spending habits to be stress tested by your lender
- Are the oil majors having to come to terms with the dawning of solar power and what should investors do?
- Reviewing your protection insurance? Why whole of life insurance could be better than term assurance
- Preparing financially for having a baby
- Challenger banks Shawbrook and Close Brothers launch market leading fixed-rate bonds
- Are you an Expat with investment property in the UK? - You could be liable for UK Capital Gains Tax